- Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
- Building type(s): Commercial office
- New construction
- 73,000 ft2 (6,780 m2)
- Project scope: 7% of a building
- Completed 2001
- Related projects: This project is within U.S. EPA Research Triangle Park Campus.
Rating: Green Building Challenge
The EPA's new RTP campus includes laboratories and offices for over 2,000 people. One of the three 3-story office blocks is described here. The building sits on the shore of an artificial lake, and is part of a larger campus of federal facilities that share a central cooling plant.
Energy-efficient and healthy spaces on a tight budget are the hallmarks of this project. Special attention was also paid to minimizing site disturbance for roadways and parking, and preserving native plants prior to construction.
Owner & Occupancy
- Owned and occupied by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Federal government
- Typically occupied by 200 people, 45 hours per person per week
About 20 visitors are expected in addition to 200 employees on any given day.
Integrated team, Green framework, Green specifications, Operations and maintenance, Indigenous vegetation, Glazing, Benign materials, Daylighting, Indoor air quality monitoring